According to Canada 2011 Census, there are 316,765 Canadians of Hungarian ancestry. The majority of Hungarian immigration occurred after World War II, the wave peaked after the 1956 Hungarian revolution against communist rule and over 100,000 Hungarian refugees went to Canada. The Hungarian-Canadian community is one of the top five countries of the Hungarian diaspora.
The Canada 2011 Census counted 148,960 people in Ontario who have Hungarian roots or were born in Hungary, of which 56,045 live in the Greater Toronto Area.
Primary Areas of Settlement in the GTA: Whitchurch-Stoufville, Vaughan, Oakville, Central Toronto, Calendon, Ajax, King, Georgina
After the First World War thousands of Hungarians emigrated to Canada, especially from rural class. After the Second World War people from several classes came to the country. Ontario’s climate was similar to the Hungarian climate so people from the Prairies moved to Ontario. The first Hungarian society was established in Hamilton in 1907, the second was founded in Hamilton in 1913. In 1921 the Hungarian Self Culture Society was established in Welland where the first Hungarian newspaper was also published in 1928.In 1931 the three-fourths of the Hungarian Canadian population lived in Ontario. The 1956 refugees also lifted the Hungarian population in Canada. In 1949 a so-called Delhi & Tobacco District Hungarian House was dedicated in Delhi–Tillsonburg, the centre was initiated by Paul Rapai in 1947. 40 percent (about 1,500 people) of the tobacco factory was Hungarian. In 1933 two Hungarian newspapers were established by Rapai, the Kanadai Magyar Újság and the Wellandi Kisújság.After 1956 abouth 6,000 refugees arrived in Ontario.In 1964 a Roman Catholic church was built in London, Ontario. Roman Catholic churches are still in Toronto, Hamilton and in Courtland. There are still four Greek Catholic churches in Ontario: in Welland, Courtland, Windsor and in Hamilton. Presbyterian churches are in Delhi and in Ottawa.
The Canadian Encyclopedia: